About the RWIFO
The Rochester West Indian Festival Org., Inc. (RWIFO) was founded in November 1983 and was incorporated in June 1989. It gained non-profit status from the Federal government in 1989 and exemption from NY state and local taxes in 1990. It has a 501(c)(3) status.
The organization is comprised of members from different Caribbean islands. The organization is the proud sponsor of Carifest, the Caribbean Festival held annually in the city of Rochester since 1985.
RWIFO gives annual scholarships to minority high schools students going on to college. In 2012,seven (7) scholarships were given out. To date, a total of eighty-nine thousand eight hundred($89,800) dollars has been awarded to scholarship recipients.
RWIFO also sponsors Miss Carifest Cultural Queen Pageant. This event gives the young people an opportunity to showcase their talents, intellect, grace and beauty. It also helps them to develop their self-esteem and team spirit.
To promote Caribbean culture in the city of Rochester and its surrounding areas through workshops, our annual festival, the annual Miss Carifest Queen Pageant, and partnering with other community groups.
RWIFO, Inc. is dedicated to the educational success of our youth and to building a strong Caribbean Community: Culturally, Socially, and Financially. Our goal is to reach as many people as possible through our annual Caribbean Festival and other community events.
- Provide Scholarships to college-bound minority students.
- Organize and host the annual cultural Caribbean festival, CARIFEST, which helps to educate the people of Rochester and its surrounding communities about the Caribbean culture.
- Work with young people to maintain the Caribbean culture, through our Queen pageant
- Share Caribbean culture with the Rochester Community
- Interact with neighboring cities, such as Syracuse, Buffalo, and Toronto with a focus on our Culture
Interested.... come check us out at our general body meetings!!
When: The second Thursday of every other month starting January 2013
Where: Anthony Square Community Center
70 Cunningham Street, Rochester, NY, 14608
Time: 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Phone: (585) 234 - 0909